Sign up to receive our newsletter
Where is Baxter located?
Baxter’s street address is 935 Baxter St. SE in Grand Rapids; however, our front entrance is on Bemis street.
Who qualifies for Baxter’s health and dental services?
Baxter’s Wholistic Health Clinic is intended primarily for low-income, uninsured families and individuals and gives preference to those already using Baxter Community Center services. Adult enrollment is based strictly on availability, and the Clinic operates on a sliding scale. Please contact the Clinic for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Who can shop at the Marketplace?
Our Marketplace serves anyone in need of food and/or clothing assistance who lives in Baxter’s service district. To find out if you are in Baxter’s district, call United Way at 211.
What do I need to bring with me on my first visit to Baxter’s Marketplace?
Please bring the following three things:
- Photo ID
- Document (i.e. mail) printed with current address
- Social Security number(s) for yourself and everyone in your household
How do I sign up to receive Baxter’s free tax services?
Appointments during tax season fill up quickly! Make sure to schedule your appointment as soon as possible, starting the first of the year, by calling our office.
What credibility does Baxter have in the community?
- Baxter has become established as an “institution of trust” due to our work in the neighborhood and surrounding area throughout the past 40 years. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining strong community partnerships.
- We are a United Way agency.
- Our Pediatric Clinic proudly partners with the Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital.
- Baxter received US LEED Green Certification in 2008 for the gymnasium and received the Kresge Bonus Grant worth $150,000 for this accomplishment.
- The Wholistic Health Clinic/Aquinas College “Get the Lead Out!” partnership was one of four finalists for the 2005 Jimmy & Rosalyn Carter Partnership Award.
- In 2004, Baxter’s Wholistic Health Clinic was selected as one of 10 national finalists for the Acton Institute’s Center for Effective Compassion “Samaritan Award.”
Can I rent space in the Baxter building for a meeting or event?
For information on building rental and availability, please contact Randy.
Telephone: (616) 456-8593 ext. 229
How does Baxter obtain funds for programming and general operations?
Faithful generosity and creative collaboration enable us to continue our work. While we obtain much of our funding from partnerships with private foundations, individuals, businesses, and local churches, Baxter is also supported by United Way and receives government reimbursement for various program fees.
If you are interested in giving to Baxter, please know that one-time gifts, pledges, and commemorative gifts are all appreciated. All gifts will be acknowledged and personally recognized. Contributions can be a one-time gift of cash and/or appreciated assets, such as stock or other securities. Corporate or business donors might also consider gifts-in-kind, such as building materials, equipment, furniture, or furnishings.
Please know that your privacy is important to us. Baxter does not share its donor mailing list with outside organizations.
Checks can be made out to Baxter Community Center and sent to us at:
935 Baxter St. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49506
To donate online safely and securely with your credit card, click here.
How can I get involved?
- Volunteer your time
- Donate resources
- Become a prayer partner